Saturday, January 17, 2015

Whole 30 - Coconut Chicken and Guacamole

Hey all!

So at the end of the week, I had leftovers and even tried to eat out! Wow it was hard. It's also awkward to be "that person". It went something like this... "Hi! Can I start you off with a starter?" Me: "Hi, I am ready to order.. (since I had to read the menu before and make sure there was SOMETHING).. can I get the [insert fun name] salad with no cheese and [blah blah] burger without cheese and without the bun." "Oh, is there any chance you guys use ghee or coconut oil? ..." [blank stare] "Oh, nevermind, that's all. Thank you!" The rules allow canola oil - mostly because they understand one needs to eat out SOMETIMES. Let me tell you though, it motivated me to avoid eating out during this!

So I was feeling fancy today and decided to make something to share! I didn't steal it from any blogger this time, just opened the fridge and went for it.. it turned out pretty well!

Whole 30 - Coconut Chicken and Guacamole 

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon coconut oil
2 chicken breasts
1/2 medium onion, diced  (1/4 in sautee pan, 1/4 in guacamole)
1/2 cup coconut milk (1/4 added at a time)
1 avocado

other seasonings:
salt, pepper, chili powder

First, let me say - I can't stand dry chicken.. really dry meat in general.. and I think it's easy to keep your meat juicy and delicious if you just make sure there is something with moisture in the pan. That's where the coconut comes into play. Well.. here is the recipe.

Directions:

First, you always need to get a nice sear on your chicken. I put salt, pepper and some chili powder on the meat (you will notice I always throw in chili powder) and then you should heat up some coconut oil (I never measure this - maybe a teaspoon or tablespoon if you are feeling decadent) in a saute pan. (Side note: I always put the oven to 300 degrees in case I need to finish off the meat in the oven - aka If the meat is not quite cooked through)

Then you let it sear for about 4 mins and flip it so the other side can do the same. At the same time, I cut up an avocado and a yellow onion. I threw in 1/4 (diced) onion into the pan with the chicken and then poured some coconut milk (about 1/4 cup) into the pan with it. Smelled delicious.

(MOISTURE!) Let that cook and flip the chicken every 5 mins or so... Add a bit more coconut milk (about 1/4 cup) and cover the pan to let it simmer in the juices - and let those onions absorb the coconut milk. That will probably be done in about 5 mins - so cut the breast in half to make sure it's cooked all the way through. If you have some pinkness, throw it in the oven with the lid on the pan to give it a final cook through.

I used another 1/4 of the onion in with the cut up avocado and added some lime juice to make some nice guacamole for a garnish - to add in some freshness.

So presto - here is the final product:



Delicious... What do you think?  Until next time... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment