Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Whole 30 - Carrot and Broccoli Soup

Hello again!

The whole 30 is actually very fun for those who enjoy cooking and cooking challenges. I feel a bit like I am on chopped and the rules are the whole30. Last night for dinner, I made amazing turkey and pineapple bun-less burgers with a salad on the side.
Delicious. It was very easy- I usually add everything and the kitchen sink to turkey meat to make sure it's juicy and flavorful, but I have been counting out that poor turkey. It was yummy! Just coconut oil, salt, pepper and a little chili powder. I suppose grilled pineapple never hurt no one.

The salad was spinach, kale, broccoli slaw (chopped up, store bought), pomegranate with minimal dressing (olive oil+vinegar).


Okay, enough about that... The recipe I want to share today is a modified version from the blog- The clothes make the girl. I followed it pretty closely, but used Broccoli instead of Cauliflower. Here's how it went...

Whole 30 - Carrot and Broccoli Soup
Basically, I used coconut oil and sauteed onions, garlic and carrots. I have red carrots - organic carrots are some times all kinds of colors. After that cooks a bit, I added the brocoli. Then you add chicken broth and water and let it cook for 45 mins.

Then you use your handy dandy food processor and puree the whole thing. 


Then you mix in 1/2 cup coconut milk- and presto!



Can I tell you... it's delicious! Maybe I am a soup junkie though. My mom says she isn't a "soup person".. I am not sure she has had this soup. Maybe she would change her mind. 

Modified Recipe:
Ingredients:
1 or 2 large head broccoli
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
2 large carrots, diced (about 2 cups)
2 cloves garlic, smashed
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup canned coconut milk
other seasonings:
all spice, chili powder
Directions:
1. Wash and core the broccoli, then coarsely chop. Set aside.
2. Heat a large, deep pot over medium-high heat, then add the coconut oil. When the oil is melted, add onions, carrots, and garlic. Stir with a wooden spoon and cook until they’re soft and golden, about 5 minutes. Add the chopped  broccoli and cook until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the broth and water, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook, covered, until the vegetables are very tender, about 45 minutes.
4. Working in batches, carefully transfer the  broccoli and some of the broth to a blender or food processor. Cover the top with a dish towel to protect yourself from splatters, and purée the contents until smooth, adding more broth as necessary.
5. Pour the purée back into the soup pot, then add the salt, pepper, and coconut milk. Stir to combine and cook over medium until heated through. 


That's all for this recipe! Until next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment